Mamas, we fully admit that we’re suckers for a good casserole. There’s just something so warm and comforting about a casserole dish straight out of the oven full of hot, bubbling goodness.
If you love squash as much as we do, you’ll love this recipe from our friend Bailey.
Bailey’s Parmesan Squash Casserole
- 4 yellow squash (about 8 cups sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (not tightly packed)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and spray a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the squash into 1/4-inch slices. (For larger squash, cut them down the middle before slicing.)
- Heat oil in a large, nonstick frying pan.
- Add the squash, garlic and thyme.
- Saute and stir until the squash begins to soften. (But don’t overcook!)
- Remove from heat and add tomatoes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the eggs, sour cream, cheeses and lemon juice.
- Place half the squash into the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper and then spread 1/2 of the egg mixture over the top.
- Repeat with remaining squash and egg mixture.
- Top with additional feta and Parmesan, if desired.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until bubbling hot and slightly set.
Serve hot and enjoy!