There’s an old saying that goes like this: “Music soothes the savage beast.” So when you’re in the middle of a savage day and your mood has nearly deteriorated to “beast” level, try uploading some of these tunes to your ipod or MP3 player. Turn off your T.V. (that constant commercial chatter is enough to drive anybody crazy) and crank up the tunes. It helps. It really does.
I like organizing my songs into playlists, depending on what I’m in the mood for. And when you want to be surprised, just tell your little ipod to shuffle songs to mix it up a bit.
- “Breakaway” by Kelly Clarkson
- “Don’t You Worry ‘Bout a Thing” by John Legend
- “September” by Earth, Wind & Fire
- “Got to be Real” by Cheryl Lynn
- “Now That We Found Love” by Heavy D & the Boyz
- “Ain’t No Other Man” by Christina Aguilera
- “You Dropped A Bomb On Me” by The Gap Band
- “Bust A Move” by Young MC
- “Get the Party Started” by Pink
- “Start the Commotion” by The Wiseguys
- “She’s a Bad Mama Jama” by Carl Carlton
Note to mamas: This playlist is great for a 30-minute workout, whether it’s a fast walk around the neighborhood or a run on the treadmill. The first two tracks ease you into it and by the time “Got to Be Real” comes on, you’re going to find it incredibly hard not to shake your groove thang while you’re walking past your neighbor’s house. I also use this playlist anytime I want a picker-upper, with or without the exercise. Enjoy.
Christian music mix
- Every Time I Breathe by Big Daddy Weave
- Hold Fast by MercyMe
- Word of God Speak by MercyMe
- God of Wonders by Rebecca St. James
- Here With Me by MercyMe
- Jesus, Take the Wheel by Carrie Underwood
- I Can Only Imagine by MercyMe
- Bring the Rain by MercyMe
Note to mamas: I’m a relative newcomer to contemporary Christian music. I grew up thinking all Christian music sounds like “The Old Rugged Cross.” Who knew there were so many new, exciting things to listen to? The best part? These songs are going to remind you what you believe in, what you value. And it sure it nice to hear great music with lyrics that don’t make you feel like you need to take a shower afterward. Let the kids jam along with you.
Country music mix
- “Landslide” by Dixie Chicks
- “My Wish” by Rascall Flatts
- “Lost In This Moment” by Big & Rich
- “Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under” by Shania Twain
- “Love Is Alive” by The Judds
- “Nothin’ Better to Do” by LeAnn Rimes
- “She Is His Only Need” by Wynonna Judd
- “No One Needs to Know” by Shania Twain
- “Tonight The Heartache’s On Me” by Dixie Chicks
- “Bless the Broken Road” by Rascall Flatts
Note to mamas: Admittedly, I’m not up to speed on the latest country hits. Most of the time we’re listening to our “Curious George” DVD or whatever else the kids want to see while we’re in the van. So I’ve compiled what I think are classic country tunes that give you the perfect fix when you’re craving something a little twangy.
If you’re saying, “I can’t believe she left out the greatest song of all time! How could she not mention (insert song title here), then here’s what you do. You e-mail me the name of the song and the artist and we’ll keep updating the playlists and adding new ones. If you were a child in the 80s, check back here next week for a playlist I like to call “Classic Michael Jackson: Before He Got Freaky.” It’s going to rock.