What can I do to get my skin to “glow” more? My face looks so dull and, well, sort of dead. Am I just getting too old? Surely there’s something that could help.
Dear Tired Mommy,
There is always something that can help our skin look better! I know what you mean about having that dull, dry look – it’s not pretty and it can definitely make us look older. Here are a few things you can do to perk up your skin:
1. Drink plenty of water. I know, I know – we’re all sick of hearing this, but it’s vital for your health and your skin. You don’t have to give up your coffee or soda – just make sure you drink the water too.
2. Exfoliate regularly. By regularly, I mean at least four times a week with a gentle scrub. My favorite is Aveeno Daily Brightening Scrub.
3. Apply sunscreen every day. Rain or shine, 365 days a year. This is non-negotiable!!!
4. Moisturize well every night. Choose the right moisturizer for your skin type – dry skins can handle a heavier cream version, oilier skins will love a lighter serum. Choose one that contains retinol (Olay and Neutrogena have great options).
5. Use a highlighter. Laura Mercier’s new “Illuminating” Tinted Moisturizer looks beautiful when mixed with a liquid foundation (just don’t use on your T-zone if you’re prone to oilies). Another good one is Benefit’s “High Beam.” Dab a little on the inner corners of your eyes, your brow bone and cheekbones for a subtle, pretty glow.
6. Get some sleep! Easier said than done with the little ones, but even going to bed 15 minutes earlier will make you feel and look better in the morning.
Also, if your budget allows, a professional micro-dermabrasion is a great way to get some glow back to your skin. One treatment usually costs between $250-400, but I promise, it’s worth it. I hope this helps!
E-mail your questions and comments to Amy at mamas@nwaMotherlode.com. Amy tackles your beauty questions every Monday.