Since I’ve been couponing a little of late, people have been encouraging me to get a subscription to All You magazine. So the last time I was at Walmart I grabbed a copy to see what all the fuss was about and whether or not I could use even a small portion of the $91 in promised coupons inside. I did, in fact, use some of the coupons, but I particularly liked some of the recipes I found.
The first one I used was the slow cooker bbq chicken recipe below. My husband LOVED this recipe. We had bbq chicken sandwiches (on hamburger buns) fresh corn on the cob, baked beans and sliced tomatoes. So good.
The next night, we had tortilla wraps with the leftover chicken. Also: yum.
So I thought I’d share the recipe:
Slow-Cooker Barbecue Chicken
- 24 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian dressing
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth
1. Put chicken in slow cooker. In a bowl, combine barbecue sauce, dressing, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
2. Remove chicken to a cutting board and shred with 2 forks. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and chicken broth. Stir into sauce in slow cooker, cover and cook until sauce is thickened and heated through, 5 to 10 minutes. Return chicken to cooker, stir, cover and continue cooking on low for 45 minutes. Serve chicken on whole-grain buns, over brown rice or with baked potatoes if you like.